Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Letting Go

Beth got my heart racing yesterday after she posted her logo on her blogsite. (http://seeing-sideways.blogspot.com/ May 2007 Graphics for NMC) I've been mulling it over, trying to figure out why and I realized it's because she let go of an attachment!

Hmmmm how else to say that so that it is dynamic?

It's like Beth took her hand and wiped it across her art desk, scattering all the paints and brushes and canvases, leaving her with a clear workspace where she could start all over!

It's a transition point. Letting go of what is and opening up to what may be.

When I saw that she didn't use her eye logo and that the type and font was no longer conventionally pieced together, I felt a huge release.

I am always excited when a "letting go" takes place. In letting go of an attachment to something, you open yourself up--like an empty vessel waiting to be filled with something new. It's an extremely frightening thing to do because you don't know what will replace what you've let go. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes something absolutely foreign and uncomfortable. But sometimes something beautiful and fulfilling.

It's an adventure to let go. It signifies forward movement and a willingness to embrace risk. It's turning your back to the past and looking to the future. It doesn't mean that what you let go of won't follow or find you again. It's just that when it does, you'll know if it's worth embracing again.

I love letting go. It scares the hell out of me and I don't do it well at all. But when I do, I know I'm in for a ride.

5 comments:

SalmonGod said...

reminds me of the Buddhist imperative to be free of all "clinging desires"

Dezra said...

My leanings and philosophy are very much Buddhist....

spyroterra said...

That is the greatest compliment my teaching has ever received! I know that I am actually helping someone discover her own potential. WOW! Thanks!

spyroterra said...

Can I use this in my poster session for the NMC - I will keep it anonymous.

Dezra said...

You can use it how you see fit...anonymous or not. That is a huge compliment to me! Thank you!