
I do not blog well. I don't read blogs if I can help it and I surely don't write them--my first blog, encouraged by Beth, was created almost a year ago and I've written nothing since. My musings tend to be personal and directed to a specific person. It's in directing my writing to a specific person that I can organize my thoughts and deliver a voice. But...since I recognize blogging as part of current culture, I guess I ought to get involved.
During class, I sent the following to Beth. I figured since it is class-related, I ought to share it with the class. So here it is, uncensored (though censoring is not an issue):
Beth:
My presentation went exactly how I planned it! In fact, it went even better than I planned it. My theme or focus for my egg was The Forgotten. I expected all eggs to have been given some kind of personality or significance and knew that attention would be given to each egg. I opted to address the "forgotten" egg, the egg who no one pays attention to, who gets overlooked, who is invisible.
I chose "Oubliette" as my title because an oubliette is where they put people to forget about them. I took my egg home, took a photo of it amongst a bunch of trash, then promptly forgot about it. I went on with life...went to the Commencement dinner and met Bertha, went to Commencement and didn't think about eggs at all. Today I chronicled my weekend and was forced to think about the egg long enough to put together the presentation.
I focused on the theme -- Oubliette. Every element I chose was chosen with that in mind. There is a lot of symbolic meaning about being forgotten in that short movie....
When I presented, I walked up, downloaded the movie, played it, then sat down. I didn't say a word...I didn't draw any more attention to my presentation than I had to. I was concerned you would start asking me questions about my experience...instead, you played perfectly into the whole scenario...you talked about Bertha!
And no one remembers my presentation.
Oubliette.

No comments:
Post a Comment