Sunday, June 17, 2007

Tourist Experiment

I performed an experiment today. I went downtown pretending to be a tourist. I wanted to see downtown Indianapolis through the eyes of a tourist...but not just any tourist. I had to be myself. Talk about fighting off schizophrenia! :) So I was Dezra visiting a place I've lived in for over 20 years. Man. What a trip. What would I photograph? And more importantly, how? Would I photograph like a tourist and catch all the required photos? I had to battle that one.

When I hit Monument Circle, I discovered the Monument in the reflections of the windows of Chase Bank, so I took a number of photos there. But is that what Tourist Dezra--who had never been to Indy before--would do? Or would Tourist Dezra take a full-length shot of the Monument? I was in a quandary. I loved the reflection, but would I take that photo as a tourist?

As I wandered about, I saw all these newspaper stands...the colors were very bright. Not knowing if other major cities display their papers like Indy does, I figured I'd take a photo anyway--just in case this is an Indy phenomenon. I loved the colors and how they lined up in their plastic cases. And they seemed to be all over downtown.

As Indianapolis Dezra, I have been all over the War Corridor (or whatever they call it) so I wasn't sure exactly what Tourist Dezra would photograph. As I walked into the park area, I noticed a heavy, rusted chain shackling the park bench to the area. Dezra in all lives can't resist rusted chains (you should see my "rusted chain" folder on my desk top) so instead of photographing war, I photographed the chains as a metaphor for war...and how better to push the metaphor than to include my *shudder* 'war-torn' foot...bound by the chain.

Then I started thinking. Hey! I was in Boston not too long ago. What did I photograph there? I remembered that I kept photographing architecture and stairwells and textures. And what I loved most about Boston was the history and all the old buildings.
So I figured I might as well photograph some of Indy's wonderful architecture. That's when I discovered that Indy is schizophrenic! And I love it! Indy has old, historic buildings juxtaposed next to highly-reflective modern architecture. It feeds my reflection fetish and my old architecture fetish. (See the above photo of Monument Circle as an example...the old reflected in the new.) So I took some photos of the older buildings...the Scottish Rite Cathedral being one of my favorites.

One thing I know I love are the sculptures and artwork that major cities display. So as I passed by Fifth/Third Bank on my way back to my car, I stopped for a final photo shoot. I took many angles of this particular sculpture, but I loved how the flag draped in the background and how the sculpture reflected in the windows.

From my perspective, I didn't pass the experiment. I wasn't a good tourist. I passed on a lot of things that I would have taken photos of had I been Indianapolis Dezra and in doing so, I passed on photos that Tourist Dezra would have taken. I wasn't discovering Indy for the first time, but hitting places where I knew I might get good photos. Then I ignored the typical photos ops because I was afraid I was there only because Indianapolis Dezra went there. It was a really weird experience.

I need to go with someone who can help me see Indy objectively.

No comments: