Saturday, June 16, 2007

Downtown Indianapolis

I have been culling my photos of downtown Indianapolis. After viewing the photographic links Beth suggested regarding the New Media Consortium, I was fascinated by what people outside of Indianapolis view as photo worthy; the Slippery Noodle shingle, Dunaways, chalk marks, some sculptures, IT Room 152, the hamster tunnels. It really was intriguing.

So I decided I would go through my photos of downtown Indianapolis and see how I view Indianapolis. I went through past photos and culled about 30 of them and uploaded them to Flickr. (I have since added to that...but these photos are recent and were shot "from the hip." I didn't know what I had until I got home.) I added the link under Blog Art there on the sidebar. Check them out. Interestingly enough, I am not able to be objective!!!! I can't see how I see Indianapolis! I am so ingrained in Indianapolis that I can't step outside of myself to understand what I've photographed. Or maybe I'm so ingrained in myself that I can't step outside of myself to see my photographs objectively.

Also, I ask myself why I chose those photos from the hundreds that I have of Indianapolis? And I don't have an answer. I'm too close. I am frustrated that I'm so close to myself and the situation that I can't see it. I can't see objectively! It's like the photos and I are one and there's no stepping outside to see anything other than me. Aaaarrrgggghhh!

The second part to this post scares me. I uploaded those photos this morning. The only tag I put on them was "downtown/Indianapolis." Within minutes one of my photos had been tagged as a favorite and the originator asked permission to post it on a special site he has. (The photo of the black man.) I went to the site and it's a fabulous site but what scares me is that HE FOUND ME WITHIN MINUTES. I feel vulnerable! How did he find me? How did this photo get tagged minutes upon being posted? I am NOT advertising my site and yet...

Vulnerable. I hate feeling vulnerable.

No comments: