
I have a job that I used to absolutely love but then things started to turn. From my perspective, it started turning when they introduced the TIME system.
I used to work a lot after hours. I worked on projects that I loved working on because after hours was when I could do it without interruptions. I had a lot of design projects that I worked on and it was because of those I was able to put up with the mundane stuff.
Then TIME came along and suddenly everyone became aware of my hours. TIME is IUPUI's clocking in/out system. Within a few short weeks I was forced to NOT work after hours. That frustrated me because it made no sense from my perspective. I was giving a lot of my time to the Department and I was doing so willingly because I knew I was able to work on projects that I loved working on. In strangling me to only 40 hours per week, the Department lost a lot of what I did for them.
And I lost working on what I enjoyed the most. What I enjoyed the most (design) was not in my job description. The Department then had to pay outside sources to do what I had been doing for them. As I see it, everyone lost.
Now, to be fair to the Department, I've been told that it isn't fair to me to ask me to do designer work on secretarial pay; HR would come down hard on them for taking advantage of me. There are more "reasons" for why they have relegated me to my job description but I'm having a difficult time reconciling their reasons when they don't seem to be consistent across the board.
I still the love Department. But what I do daily is draining me because it isn't creative work. The Department is in a state of flux right now. Changes are taking place behind closed doors and it's being felt. There may still be a place for me here when it all shakes out but no one is saying or can say anything to me because nothing is confirmed.
I will wait it out until I know more directly what is happening.

1 comment:
When humans get together in large organisations, they do strange things. If they were happy with your design work, it means you will find a design job. Maybe this is happened so you would get a proper design job. It is only their loss. Do what you love.
Post a Comment